Meeting first in homes and, after 1809, in the County Courthouse, the congregation erected its first building in 1827 on this site — ground donated by George Clymer, a signer of the Declaration of Independence.
In 1858 a larger church replaced the initial building.
In 1904 work began on the third and present building, which was completed and dedicated in 1906. The present-day building, a Victorian eclectic structure designed by J.C. Fulton of Uniontown. Built of Hummelstown brownstone by Indiana contractor John S. Hastings, the new edifice was completed in 1906. Its octagonal sanctuary, dominated by an art glass dome 28 feet in diameter, incorporates the central pulpit and semi‑circular pew arrangement of the “Akron Plan,” allowing worshipers to hear and see easily from any seat.
Originally the northwest tower of our building was crowned by a steeple, which was removed in 1966 after weather damage affected its stability. The education wing was added in 1955 to accommodate a growing congregation.
The octagonal sanctuary of this Victorian eclectic building incorporates a central pulpit, reflecting the centrality of God’s Word. The semi-circular pew arrangement allows the congregation to see and hear clearly from any seat.
The beautiful art glass windows and dome exemplify the Arts and Crafts style with painted details on opalescent glass. The “David and Jonathan” window in the east wall of the sanctuary, the “Road to Emmaus” window high in the north wall, and other windows throughout the church represent Biblical themes.